We are all guilty of it at some point or another, neglecting our lips. The truth is that you can’t expect your lipstick to look as good if you aren’t taking care of your lips first! So this article will explore the importance of lip care and give you tips on how to make your own homemade lip scrub recipe.
What is a lip scrub and why do I need it?
A lip scrub is a skincare product for the lips, usually specifically targeted towards people with dry or chapped lips. Lip scrub products are usually lip balms with added exfoliating particles such as sugar or jojoba beads which help remove dead skin cells that have built up on your lips. Sugar scrubs are also great for those with dry, chapped lips because it is an easily absorbent substance that will moisturize and hydrate your lips.
Why do you need a lip scrub? If you’re like me and are someone who uses a lot of lipsticks, lip gloss, and balms without really taking care of your lips, you’ll notice that your lipstick won’t look as good as it should.
Here are six quick ways to make your lips feel soft and supple:
1. Apply Vaseline for a moisturizing effect
2. Use sugar scrubs with honey or salt for exfoliation purposes
3. Rub in coconut oil before going to bed at night for hydration and protection from environmental factors such as cold weather, heaters, etc (this one is my personal favorite)
4. Make your own lip scrub with olive oil and sugar (another easy recipe idea on its own!)
5. Use a dry toothbrush to gently buff away dead skin cells from the surface of your lips
6. Apply chapstick or any other type of lip balm over top of your home-made lip scrub for a protective layer of moisture
How to make your own diy lip scrub with Vaseline
1. Get a small or medium sized bowl and place a tablespoon of Vaseline in it.
2. Add granulated sugar (to taste) into the bowl with the Vaseline and mix until the consistency is thick.
3. Mix in necessary oils, such as peppermint oil, for flavor if desired. Essential oils are a nice touch to add to your homemade lip scrub. One of the best essential oils for dry lips is peppermint essential oil which can be purchased at almost any health store or online. Peppermint oil will not only help hydrate your lips, but it will also give them added protection from outside elements such as cold weather, heaters, etc. This is totally optional.
4. Store your lip scrub in an airtight container to prevent it from going bad (it will last up to 3-4 weeks).
If desired, you can also add a small amount of honey. Adding honey to your lip scrub is a nice touch because it will moisturize the lips and help keep them hydrated. It also has antibacterial properties that will help fight off any bacteria on the surface of your lips.
To use, just rub scrub on lips (I like to use mine in the shower) to gently exfoliate lips. Wash off with lukewarm water.
Why you should be using Vaseline as part of your daily routine for healthy, soft lips
Why should you use Vaseline (also called petroleum jelly) as part of your daily routine for healthy, soft lips? This is a question that many people ask.
First off, Vaseline acts as a protective barrier against the cold weather and harsh climates in the winter season. It also protects against hot air in the summer, which can be another cause of dryness on your lips.
Another reason is that Vaseline has a nice waxy-type consistency that can prevent moisture from evaporating and leaving your lips dry with cracks.
Vaseline also locks in the moisture by creating an occlusive layer over your lips. It does this by trapping water inside your skin cells so that it doesn’t escape.
Vaseline is also an effective way to moisturize your lips because it can lock in moisture for up to eight hours once applied. You may want to reapply after eating or drinking though!
As you can see, Vaseline can do wonders for your lips!
The importance of taking care of our lips
Many of us forget the importance of taking care of our lips. Lips need to be taken care of just as much as other parts of the body do, but often it’s forgotten. There are many different DIY ways you can make your own lip scrub at home with ingredients from your kitchen or bathroom cabinet. One way is to combine Vaseline with sugar or honey for a simple and inexpensive homemade recipe (see above!) that will leave you with moisturized, supple lips in no time!
When should you use a homemade lip scrub recipe vs store-bought products
There are many different reasons why you should consider making your own lip scrub, such as the benefits of being able to control what you put on your lips, not having to worry about allergic reactions, and the cost savings!
All you need are inexpensive ingredients that are probably already on hand (you might have to pick up a container of Vaseline if you don’t already have it!) to make a quick and easy lip scrub anytime you need it.
Lip Scrub Recipes to Try
Now that you’ve learned a few ways to take care of your lips, here are ten lip scrub DIY recipes that you can whip up at home!
1. Vaseline + Sugar Scrub Recipe = Soft, Smooth Lips!
2. Honey Salt Lip Scrub for a Natural Exfoliating Experience
3. Tasty Peppermint Sugar Lip Scrub
4. Coffee & Coconut Oil Exfoliating Lip Scrub
5. Sugar Pumpkin Spice Lip Scrub Recipe for a Moisturizing Treat!
6. DIY Coffee Face and Body Scrub Recipe
7. DIY Brown sugar + Honey lip scrub recipe
8: Vanilla Apricot Lip Scrub Recipe = Naturally Soft Lips!
9. DIY Gingerbread Sugar Cookie Decadence Body Scrub Recipe
10: Vanilla Minty Sugar Scrub for Smooth, Moisturized Skin in No Time!
There are many different reasons why you should consider making your own lip scrub. First off, it allows for control over what goes on the lips; there’s no risk of allergic reactions and cost savings!
Second, Vaseline acts as a protective barrier against cold weather or hot air which can be another cause of dryness on the lips. It also locks in moisture to create an occlusive layer that doesn’t allow water to escape from skin cells – this is important because our mouths tend to produce more saliva than other parts of our body do and so they might need extra moisture protection.
Lastly, homemade recipes provide us with easy access anytime we feel like giving ourselves some self-care love by adding ingredients such as honey, sugar or coffee!